History of our School
St Francis Xavier School was opened in 1919 by the Mercy Sisters and was staffed by them until 1984. Initially, lessons were held in the church until 1929 when buildings were erected. The old buildings were replaced in 1985 and were the first of the Dunedin Catholic Schools to be built in this style. St Francis Xavier was integrated into the State System in 1981. We have many second and in some cases third generation pupils and we are always grateful for the solid faith foundation laid by the Sisters of Mary in the Mornington Community.